I’ve made quite a few changes to the garden plan since I first posted it back on January 12. It has actually be reworked considerably all due to one big decision.
Previously, Aliaceae, Solanaceae, Leguminosae, and a quadrant for miscellaneous (yellow here) were each going to occupy three of the twelve beds rotating on a four-year schedule. Then came the last of the tomatoes. I believe it was soon after I posted that plan that we used our last jar of home-canned tomatoes. I decided then that I was going to devote another bed to tomatoes and reduce the onion/leek/garlic section by one bed. With some color-coded schemes sketched out for the succeeding years I settled on this one. With the tomatoes/peppers/tomatillo/potatoes now taking four beds the rotation will now repeat every three years.
The fact that the garlic was already in the ground from last fall, combined with other factors means that next year tomatoes are going to be in the same bed they were last year but I can live with that. I plan to start actually applying organic fertilizers since I don’t have a source of good compost other than leaves so nutrient depletion isn’t a big concern.
As of today everything in the first planting is in or has a space reserved for it. There are a few small spaces indicated with question marks available for spontaneous ideas—I don’t adhere strictly to grouping plants by family. And, of course, over time I will work in flowering annuals here and there to attract beneficial insects.
Overall I’m happy with this scheme. I hope to learn more about how to interplant and get the most out of succession planting. Eventually those findings will work their way into the initial garden plan. For now I’m going to satisfy myself with keeping records of what I planted in unplanned succession for my own reference in the future.
After designing landscapes for 15 years I’ve learned that plans are made to be modified.